Search This Blog

Saturday 13 July 2013

PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF KENT & THE GENEROUS GARDENER

Sometimes, by accident rather by intention, perfect combinations happen in the garden.  I mentioned some posts back in spring a certain pink aquilegia growing alongside Dicentra formosa 'Luxuriant, and now, today, I have noticed another lovely combination: the David Austin roses Princess Alexandra of Kent together with The Generous Gardener.  I am growing Princess Alexandra as a shrub and The Generous Gardener is being grown as a climber.  While The Gardener is mostly supported by the fence, Alexandra has embraced The Gardener and is using it (him) as a support.  I am so pleased to see this combination, particularly because last year Alexandra, one of my favourite roses which smells divine, fared so badly.  We had a bad summer and with rain and low light which made it weak, and Alexandra then succumbed to blackspot and aphids.  Although I fought against them, the rose became straggly and weak. I really thought it had had it.  But now Alexandra is growing well.   It (she) just needed nurturing, sunshine, and a bit of support.  Don't we all!






The Generous Gardener (pale pink) together with

Princess Alexandra of Kent








The Generous Gardener (pale pink) together with

Princess Alexandra of Kent