Search This Blog

Sunday 7 July 2013

BUMBLE BEES LIKE GERANIUMS

July is that time of gardening year when most of the work, for me, consists of dead-heading, and watering when needed.  The roses are a little late in blooming and it's magical to see the buds bursting open now displaying such wonderful colours.  But here I go again harping on about my roses when this post is supposed to be about the geraniums down by the dustbin.  I know, not the most wonderful of places for a plant to grow but, as I mentioned in an earlier post about the pink and blue geraniums working well together, they do grow well there where it's damp and shady.  Today I noticed how the geraniums are alive with bees.   I just love to see them buzzing away and while I know some people, especially those allergic to bee stings, are afraid of them, I have never had problems with bees.  Where I sit on my hammock swing, with my back to the Polka raspberries, my head is forever being circled by bees getting at the flowers behind me.  Perhaps I have spoken too soon and will go and get stung now.  Anyway, look how fabulous the geraniums are.  While the blue geranium always seems to have been dominated by the pink in the past, it seems to have put on a spurt. 






Blue and pink geraniums and the bee

There were actually two bees when I took the image above but the bees are faster than my camera shutter.




Blue and pink geraniums next to astilbe (left)