Search This Blog

Monday 17 June 2013

SEMPERVIVUM 'JET STREAM' - Crassulaceae family

I'm not sure why they call one of my sempervivums 'Jet Stream' but it's a lovely plum colour with a silvery edging; and like the other sempervivums that I bought lately, it has little offspring growing at its base.  As I mentioned in a previous post, this attribute is often referred to as 'hens and chicks'.  The 'chicks can be easily detached and planted separately which is fortunate because I read that the 'hen' dies after flowering.  Sempervivum 'Jet Spring'  requires the same growing conditions as sempervivum 'Lilac Time', sempervivum 'Blood Tip' and sempervivum 'Pekinese' which I mentioned in earlier posts.    The label describes 'Jet Stream' thus: Small, many leaved rosettes of dark purplish red with silver cilia.  Cream flowers with pink tips (in summer).  Well drained soil.  Sun.










Sempervivum 'Jet Stream'



The weather today has been dry and mild and after my trip to the local garden centre, where I bought more agricultural grit, and a Hosta 'Brim Cup', I managed to plant up the Yorkshire Flowerpots terracotta pot that I bought at the RHS Garden Centre in Harlow Carr the other day when I bought my selection of sempervivums.  See below.  I think it's turned out very well.  I planted them in ordinary garden soil mixed with plenty of grit and then surrounded them with a 1 inch layer of grit.  Hopefully, that will supress the weeds and keep off slugs - not sure if slugs actually like these succulents but I'm taking no chances. 








Yorkshire Flowerpots terracotta pot planted with various sempervivums