Search This Blog

Saturday 15 July 2023

THE LAST OF THE SUMMER RASPBERRIES

It is blowing a gale out there, thunder in the air, dark clouds looming. Needing a bit of fresh air, and it really is fresh here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, I decided to pick the last of the Polka raspberries and the few straddlers that have not yet grown to edible size were sacrificed because I wanted to, and did, cut out the old canes from last year. Why? Because all this year's new canes, and there are many, will provide even more fruit this autumn - I hope. I double crop the Polka raspberries and it's a win win!

Polka raspberries with Vanilla Ice Cream

Last year's canes have provided pounds of raspberries this summer, so many that even someone like me who is greedy for fruit had to freeze some. There are about three pounds or more in big plastic boxes in the freezer. I have to say, I like the thawed out frozen ones just as much; they turn to mush, give a lot of liquid, and are just as good as fresh ones with vanilla ice cream, crushed meringues, and cream.