Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 January 2020

GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS LIKE FAT BALLS

What a wonderful beginning to 2020. It is the first day of January, 2020, the sun is shining here in West Yorkshire, it's about 5C, scarcely a cloud in the sky, and not a drop of rain. To make things even better, after not seeing one for a very long time, I managed to catch on my Canon EOS camera a Great Spotted Woodpecker eating from one of my home-made fat balls. These birds are such beautiful creatures and this one was joined by goldfinches on the sunflower-seed feeder.




Great Spotted Woodpecker eating homemade fat ball and Goldfinches eating sunflower seeds

The photos could have been better but I was taking them from inside my kitchen, through the glass. If had opened the door to get better images, well the birds would have taken flight. Note that the below fat ball was made with lard and mixed wild-bird seed only. I used small plastic cups as moulds and they fit nicely within the feeder.




Great Spotted Woodpecker eating homemade fat ball and Goldfinches eating sunflower seeds

Caught a photo of the Great Spotted Woodpecker looking away from the direction of the camera so I got a nice capture of the back of its head. Such beautiful colours.




Great Spotted Woodpecker eating fat ball




Great Spotted Woodpecker eating homemade fat ball and Goldfinches eating sunflower seeds