Search This Blog

Sunday 3 November 2019

PLANT POTS OF PARSLEY IN THE GARDEN

Earlier this year I decided to plant last year's pot of flat-leaved (Italian) parsley in the garden border and it fitted in well amid the perennials. It had actually overwintered and survived in a pot on the outside kitchen windowsill where it had some shelter.  Parsley plants make lovely flowers. However, the plants don't last more than a year or two (they are biennials) and this year, after buying a new one from my supermarket, I decided to plant it straight into the garden.  It's taken off! It's even bigger than the young Japanese maple next to it - Acer palmatum 'Phoenix'.  I know, or I'm pretty sure, that the parsley won't withstand the coming winter so I am considering transplanting it into a pot and giving it shelter so that, hopefully, I can plant it out again next year for the flowers. This is a photo of it which I took today, 3 November 2019.




Italian (flat-leaved) parsley growing in garden border

As you can see by the image, the parsley is healthy and vigorous. Slugs and snails don't seem to like it.  I love that it is making flowers as you can see from the growth which jut out at the top. Not sure if the timing of the flowers is all topsy-turvy.






Parsley buds










Parsley buds and flowers




Parsley buds and flowers on last year's parsley plant - July 2019




Acer palmatum Phoenix before planting in garden border - late 2018