Search This Blog

Sunday 14 July 2019

STAKING CLIMBING ROSE WITH A SHEPHERD'S CROOK

I know that television gardener's, like Monty Don, keep telling us how and when to tie back our climbing and rambling roses but there is something about controlling plants' natural habits that sometimes, not always, spoils their effect. I know control of such thorny plants is a sensible thing to do but this year I have chosen to allow my climbing rose, Wild Eve, to lean away from my fence in places, to overhang the perennial border, and give my border a less regimented, natural effect.  To support Wild Eve, I have used a black metal Shepherd's Crook.  I think it blends into the background quite well and in time the metal will rust and still blend, I hope. 







Wild Eve supported with unobtrusive Shepherd's Crook

I grow Wild Eve alongside New Dawn rose which is loaded with buds but only a few flowers are open right now.




I needed to tie the Wild Eve branch to the Shepherd's Crook because gusts of wind kept blowing it off the hook. 




Wild Eve supported with Shepherd's Crook




Wild Eve, a David Austin rose

I actually bought the Shepherd's Crooks, a bunch of them, to support my James Grieve apple tree when the apples start to get a bit heavy and undermining the integrity of the branches.  The metal supports have to look better, blend better, than last year's ugly canes and ties used to support the dwarf apple tree




Wild Eve, heavy with rain