Search This Blog

Monday 27 May 2019

CALIBRACHOA (MILLION BELLS) - 'LOLLIPOP'

I am not one of those gardeners who has to buy something every time I go to a garden centre, unless I am looking for something in particular.  Now and then, though, something catches my eye and is a 'must have'.  This pot of Calibrachoa (Million Bells) 'Lollilop' demanded that I buy it and take it home with me.  There are three plants within the one pot and are, I was told, made up locally in West Yorkshire.  One plant has yellow flowers, another pink, and the third is purple.  Soon, I shall plant them into a larger pot where they can spread out a bit and show off even more.




Calibrachoa (Million Bells) 'Lollilop'

The label has this to say: Beautiful combination planting of three individual varieties selected to provide a balanced, colourful display throughout the summer.  Height: 20-30cm (8-12in); Spread: 40-60cm (16-24in).  They require Full Sun to Partial Shade.  They can be planted one combination to a 30cm (12in) basket or container, or three individual combinations to a 50-60cm (20-24in) container.  They should be watered and fed regularly to maintain healthy growth and prolong flowering.




I understand that there is no need for dead-heading.  They are, in fact, mini-petunias, of the Solanaceae family. The Solanaceae family so, although I see no warning of the plants possible toxicity, it might be a caution to take care that children and pets don't dine on them.




Apparently, Calibrachoa are tender perennials, generally grown as annuals.




Below are the three plants as I bought them.  I have, for now, put the pot within another pot but soon I will plant the combination into a larger basket or container where they will have more room to spread out. 




Calibrachoa (Million Bells) 'Lollilop'