Search This Blog

Friday 24 May 2019

BRUNERA MACROPHYLLA 'JACK FROST' BLUE FLOWERS AND SILVER LEAVES

I've been growing Brunera macrophylla for a few years but this year it is outstanding.  I have three, on a little corner at the bottom of my gently sloping garden, close to the patio, near the lawn, near the dustbin (how grand!) where it gets partial shade and where the soil is somewhat damper than elsewhere.  I'm not saying that all those things are important, the dustbin, the patio, the lawn, the slope, the damp, the partial shade, but that is the conditions upon which they grow and which, this year, have done exceedingly well. I planted them in that place a couple of years ago. The plants have been moved around a bit over the years but I think they might have found their forever home at last, maybe. 




Brunera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' - 2019

Of course, it could be that the slugs and snails have found better things to eat than my Brunera.  Perhaps they are focusing more on the hostas this year.  That's another story, about to be posted.




I grow Brunera mostly because of its foliage interest.  I like the silveriness of the leaves with the green veins, but the flowers are pretty; like Forget-Me-Knots (Myosotis).  As you can see in the above photograph, the flowers are not in great abundance this year - at least mine aren't.  I haven't tried it but I bet they are nice for cutting too.




Brunera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' blue flowers - 2019

Brunera macrophylla is a hardy herbaceous perennial, so tough enough.  Just watch out for slugs, snails and other pesky suckers.







Brunera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' - 2015