Search This Blog

Thursday 20 September 2018

EUSTOMA, LISIANTHUS, PRAIRIE GENTIAN

The other day I treated myself to some shop-bought cut flowers and for a change they weren't roses, or dianthus (pinks), or freesias. No, I spotted something I had never seen before: Eustoma Grandiflorum, also known as Lisianthus, or Prairie Gentian. They belong to the Gentianae family.  On the wrapper they were called Lisianthus which I think a far lovelier name than Eustoma which, unfortunately, reminds me of a medical term best not thought about.  There were two colours available but I preferred the lilac to the pink.  A white one was also hiding among the ones I bought.  The petals are large and delicate, and the flowers have a lovely golden centre with large stamens.  They are also pleasantly fragrant.  They have lasted a few days already and still look good.








Lisianthus, or Prairie Gentian (Eustoma Grandiflorum)






https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eustoma







Lisianthus, or Prairie Gentian (Eustoma Grandiflorum)















I confess, I haven't been doing much in my garden since transplanting two Japanese Maples.  It has been raining on and off and apart from cutting the lawn, pulling a few weeds (I get very few weeds except for the seeds that the birds scatter from the feeders), and picking Wisley runner beans, it has been a delightfully lazy time for me.  Towards winter, things can get busier as I let my garden shut down for the cold months.  I've already put away the Solar Pitcher Fountain as it wasn't working and I couldn't be bothered to sort it out, yet again - the birds keep chucking seeds into it!.