Search This Blog

Monday 23 July 2018

GROW AND CONTROL THE HERB MINT IN POTS

I recall, many years ago, gardening expert Percy Thrower, of Gardener's World, telling his television audience that he will never know everything there is to know about gardening.  Truth is, no one ever will because it is such an extensive subject.  And yet, the herb 'mint' has such a reputation for being invasive, it still surprises me that some gardeners don't realise, or forget, just how self-propagating it can be.




Apple mint

For example, in one episode of Gardeners' World, Monty Don planted mint directly into his Long Meadow garden (Daily Mail external link).  He had decided to have it as part of a herb garden and planted it directly into the ground.  Now hundreds of gardeners watching that episode all must have been thinking 'you'll be sorry!', and he was.  And I wondered how many people had copied him and planted mint straight into their own garden and later cursed him for it.  Of course, some time later Monty Don (and those who listened to him) were left with the task of trying to remove the rampant mint. 







Apple mint - Mentha suaveolens

What I like about Monty Don is how he will readily and openly admit to mistakes and failures in his garden. It is encouraging to the rest of us, who often fail miserably, to see Monty Don sometimes having the same problems as we have. 




So, grow mint in pots where you can keep it under control. The only mint I grow is applemint as I like to make herb tea with it.  It's quite a pretty plant too and is a happy addition to my small garden, just so long as it stays in its container. 




About Apple Mint / Mentha suaveolens (RHS external link).  The RHS webpage says to grow the mint in a container and plunge the container into soil.  Don't.  Really.  Don't.  I did that once and found that the mint had found its way right down through the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot and was about to go on its merry way into my garden.  I now keep the apple mint in a large container on a concrete flag.  It's happy there and I cut it regularly to use as tea (as well as lemon balm and lemon verbena for tea) but also to keep the growth young and fresh.  I also regularly cut my lemon balm and lemon verbena which really needs winter protection for the same reason.