Search This Blog

Friday 22 June 2018

IDEA FOR A SMALL ENGLISH GARDEN

I know that quite a lot of people, from what they have said to me, think that my garden is enormous.  Don't be fooled.  It's a small English garden with a lot going on.  Plants have come and gone over the years and many of the plants which I have mentioned in much earlier posts may no longer be a part of my garden design.  Every gardener, professional or amateur, will lose plants to disease, pests, inclement weather, neglect, or ignorance, now and then, and sometimes plants are removed simply because they no long suit the gardener's landscaping ideas.  However, as my lawn shrinks and my borders grow, my garden is always full of interesting things; not least of all the recent erection of a garden room which I love dearly and spend many a happy hour reading there.  Every penny was well spent on it.  So, here is my garden as it is right now, June 2018.






Outside of the above image are my containers filled with hostas and ferns, where they face east and get only partial sun in the morning.  They are happiest there and I keep them well watered. 




Hosta 'Patriot' grown in a terracotta container facing east




Ferns bordering a shady path




Ferns and Hostas bordering a path