Search This Blog

Thursday 6 August 2015

ADIANTUM RADDIANUM FRAGRANS

Ok, I'll try again.  I've been trying to grow this type of beautiful and delicate fern for decades without any success.  Within a short period of time - weeks or months (not days!) - I usually manage to kill it off somehow.  It's very picky about light (likes it dappled, not too dark, not too light), temperature (definitely not very hot, nor very cold), not drafty (it doesn't like drafts), likes plenty of humidity, likes to be watered but don't overwater it.  And yet.  And yet I knew a woman who could stick this plant in any position she liked in her house and it would be happy.  She had loads of them all over the place including one, believe it or not, rather dangerously in a pot on the top of her TV (in the days when TVs were the size of a barn).  Her house was open plan, light, bright, dry, and full of comings and goings with her young Afghan Hound bouncing around all over the place.  Go figure, as they say nowadays.  I do everything I can by the book and they still conk out on me.  So take a good look at the image below, there's a chance it'll never look the same again.






Adiantum raddianum Fragrans

Adiantums (Maidenhair ferns) like humidity and ideally would be grown in a terrarium.  Well I don't have one!  So, as you can just see, to assist humidity, I have the pot standing in a small tray of gravel which has some water in it.  Also, daily, I spray the leaves with water. 



Adiantums/Maidenhair Ferns (Guide to Houseplants - external link).