Search This Blog

Thursday 2 July 2015

PENSTEMON 'HEAVENLY BLUE'

I'm so impressed with Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue' which I had never grown before I bought the plant last year and planted it near to a yellow Arthur Bell rose.  It didn't do much last year and, in truth, I had forgotten what it was (I always expect Penstemons to be pink or red) and have just had to look at the label so I could tell you.  The picture on the label does not do it justice and neither does the description on the reverse. 







Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue'







Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue' and Arthur Bell rose

The label says that Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue' has trumpet-shaped flowers that are celestial blue and pink-tinged on narrow-leaved spikes.  It is suitable for border edges, rockeries, banks, gravel gardens, and containerse in sun.  It needs well-drained soil.  It flowers from early to late summer.  It achieves a height of 25cm (10in) and spread of 25cm (10in).



Actually, it achieves a height greater than that!  The spikes on my plant are 55cm (22in) tall and as I have not staked my plant but allowed it to spread out around the rose, it has achieved about 100cm (40in) diameter.  If you support the spikes then the spread will be significantly less. 



Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue' is fantastic.  I only have one and it is so striking.  It's planted in a south-facing border at the top of a slope so it gets full sun and good drainage.  I love this plant so much I intend to propagate it so that I can grow it in the back garden border as well.