Search This Blog

Thursday 21 May 2015

VERONICA GENTIANOIDES

Last spring I planted Veronica gentianoides in my garden.  It produces elegant racemes* of pale blue flowers, about 45cm (18") tall from a low mound of neat, bright-green leaves.   It has doubled its size for this year.  They look beautiful in my border but when you look up close, really close, they have a hidden beauty which I never noticed before until I aimed my macro lens at them.  The reproductive organs are little bobby-dazzlers.  No wonder they attract pollinating insects.








*  Apparently, a raceme is like a spike but the flowers have stalks. (Wiki external link)



According to the Royal Horticultural Society they tolerate full sun to partial shade, like a loamy soil, moist but well-drained.  They can be propagated by dividing in autumn or spring.






Flowers of Veronica gentianoides showing detail of reproductive organs


 




Veronica gentianoides

Dark blue anthers and cerise stigma!