Search This Blog

Saturday 6 September 2014

POOH DAHLIA ATTRACTS POLLINATORS LIKE A MAGNET

I was astounded the other day when I noticed that the gaudy yellow and red flowers of a dahlia called 'Pooh' were attracting pollinators.  I'm not talk about one or two, I am talking about bees and hoverflies jostling for space on the golden stamens.  I'm only sorry that my photographic skills let me down and I didn't manage to get all the clear photographs I would have liked.  The insects were quite civilised about getting their share.  One bumblebee trod on another bumblebee without hostile reaction while the hoverflies kept to their own, separate, space.  I managed to get a photograph with two bees and two hoverflies but there was a point when it all got very crowded, with hoverflies waiting to land, and I just did not know where to aim my macro lens.  Anyway, two shots were fairly decent.






'Pooh' dahlia flower with hoverflies and bumblebees

 If 'Pooh' dahlia isn't a magnet for pollinators, I don't know what is.




A bumblebee on 'Pooh' dahlia flower - macro photograph











A bumblebee on 'Pooh' dahlia flower - macro photograph

See its tongue?









A bumblebee on 'Pooh' dahlia flower - macro photograph

See its tongue?