Search This Blog

Thursday 4 September 2014

BUMBLEBEES LIKE RUNNER BEAN FLOWERS

Looking at a runner bean flower, you wouldn't think there would be much to interest pollinating insects but I have noticed that they attract them all the same.  The runner beans themselves are pretty abysmal with puny leaves and just a few flowers.  I'm not going to get a crop out of them that's for sure.  It was a bit of an experiment really.  Earlier on in the year I planted Wisley Magic seeds into a very narrow strip of soil between the patio and the fencing panel.  My idea was that any roots could spread into the no-man's land over the other side of the fence but the experiment has failed.  Even so, I'm pleased that the runner bean flower gave me the opportunity of getting this shot of a bumblebee.






Bumblebee on a Wisley Magic runner bean flower - macro photograph



I must point out that the failure of the runner beans is not down to the seed but down to the area where I planted them.   I stuck a few along the south-facing fence before I decided to plant clematis and now one of those runner beans has germinated and climbed up the clematis and into the jasmine officinale.  I'm in a bit of a quandary as to whether I should pull it up because I've a feeling it's not doing the clematis much good.