Search This Blog

Sunday 24 August 2014

BUMBLEBEES LOVE PENSTEMONS

I was in the garden this morning, camera slung around my neck, when I noticed that the penstemon 'Purple Passion' was attracting bumblebees.  They are my favourite insects, way ahead of graceful butterflies, because I like the way they bumble around, undeterred.  In comparison, butterflies are boring.  Now and then, of course, a bee will bomb me like some fighter pilot going into battle but I stand my ground, perfectly still, and eventually it will leave me alone.  If a wasp did that to me, I'd be in fight or flight mode because those little ******ds sting without mercy.  I would have liked to have taken better, more in focus, photographs but I'm afraid the bees are too fast for a novice photographer like me.






Bumblebee, wings furiously flapping

 




Bumblebee hovering near a Penstemon 'Purple Passion' flower






Bumblebee about to enter the throat of a Penstemon 'Purple Passion' flower






Bumblebee and Penstemon 'Purple Passion'






Bumblebee entering flower of Penstemon 'Purple Passion'




Save our bees (internal link)