Search This Blog

Monday 7 July 2014

LEUCANTHEMUM SUPERBUM 'STARBURST'

I had absolutely no intention of buying a plant today while I mooched around a garden centre after having eaten brunch.  I wanted to take a few photographs of flowers and enjoy the sunshine, that's all.  However, Leucanthemum superbum 'Starburst', begged to come home with me and how could I refuse?  By the way, I am pretty sure that 'superbum' is pronounced 'superb-um', and not 'super-bum'.  The plant has plenty of buds and nice healthy leaves although something or someone has ragged at a petal of the solitary bloom and spoiled it.  So, this is the photo I took today and when it has more perfect flowers, I will take another shot.  For now this is it:-






Leucanthemum Superbum 'Starburst'

I've planted it at the back of the border in the area where it will get most sun.  This type of plant is commonly called Shasta Daisy, and this one has rather splendidly large flowers which I shall enjoy when it is in full bloom, particularly towards the close of day when the light is dimming and all my white flowers stand out when coloured ones are fading to grey.  It flowers June to September, forms a vase-shaped clump, and achieves a height of 80cm (32in).  Mine is planted at the top of my sloping garden where it is moist enough but very free-draining.