Search This Blog

Sunday 18 May 2014

SEMI-AQUILEGIA ECALCARATA 'SUGAR PLUM FAIRY'

What on Earth is a semi-aquilegia?  I don't know but I bought one yesterday: semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy', and what a perfect name for it.  It has leaves very much like the more usual aquilegia, (also known as the columbine or Granny's Bonnet), but a very different flower habit to any that I have ever seen before.  The flowers, also, do not have the pixie-hat spurs at the back of them.  'Sugar Plum Fairy' grows tall on stalks that criss-cross and weave in the breeze; and is very elegant, and very pretty.  Had to have it.  I have just the place for it, I hope.  My perennial border in my rather small garden is getting rather busy.






Semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy'

 

Believe it or not, aquilegias belong to the Ranunculacea family, just like the clematis that I mentioned in my previous post about clematis Gillian Blades.








Close up of a flower of semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy'








Bird's-eye view of semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy'

The description on the labels says Semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy':  Is a fully hardy plant with charming pink-purple lantern-shaped flowers in early summer.  It is ideal for cottage-style or mixed borders and rockeries.  Height 40cm (16in) x Spread 30cm (12in).  It needs a moist but well-drained soil in full sun.



NOTE:  The label warns not to cut off the flowers after they fade but to leave them and allow them to set seed so that these short-lived perennials can spread naturally.  I think I shall sow some of the seeds in a pot, just to be safe. 






Leaves of semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy'









Leaves of semi-aquilegia ecalcarata 'Sugar Plum Fairy'