Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 May 2014

SAXIFRAGA 'SPRITE'

I came across a particularly pretty alpine yesterday as I was looking for something to deter birds from attacking my Prunus avium 'Stella' sweet cherry tree, and I had to have it.  This 'had to have' thing happens to me a lot!  The flowers are quite striking and relatively large on long, graceful stems above a cushion of bright green leaves.  I'm starting to squeeze plants into my herbaceous borders.  I know there is a planting distance rule to be observed with plants, including hardy perennials, but I work on the theory that perennials can be divided, moved, or that they might simply die.  It's a case of survival of the fittest in my garden.  Strugglers and stragglers get kicked out.






Saxifraga 'Sprite'






Saxifraga 'Sprite'

The label says: 'Masses of starry, rose flowers on wiry little stems above mounds of fresh green, mossy, spreading foliage.  Height & Spread 15cm x 25cm (6in x 10in).  Position: Plant in sun or partial shade on moist but well-drained soil.