Search This Blog

Sunday 20 April 2014

PULSATILLA ZIMMERMANNII

Can there possibly be a flower more vibrant than the spring-flowering, sun-loving, Pulsatilla 'Zimmermannii'?  I found this in the Royal Horticultural Society garden at Harlow Carr, in the Alpine House.  You can see that it's growing in a terracotta pot, and I assume the medium it is growing in is gritty and free-draining.  Pulsatillas, members of the same family as anemone, are commonly known as the Pasque flower. 






Pulsatilla Zimmermannii

I understand that they can grow to about 50cm high, are frost hardy, and also that the plants are poisonous and the sap an irritant.  You can say that about a lot of plants though.  For example, hyacinth bulbs are said to be an irritant to the skin but I've never had any reaction.



Unfortunately, further information about Pulsatilla Zimmermannii seems very limited online.  I imagine they are grow in the same way as Pulsatilla alpina. 



RHS - Pulsatilla alpina - external link