Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 April 2014

IPHEION UNIFLORUM 'CHARLOTTE BISHOP'

What a beautiful little dazzler is Ipheion Uniflorum 'Charlotte Bishop' with its star-shaped flowers.  Again it's a plant I found in the Alpine House at the Royal Horticultural Society gardens in Harlow Carr.  Like Olsynium Douglasii which I mentioned in a post yesterday, it has grass-like leaves.  Looking for the growing instructions, I just discovered that it is also known as Spring Starflower.  I promise you, I didn't know. 






Ipheion uniflorum charlotte bishop

As I have not grown this plant myself, I had to do a little research.  I understand that it is hardy but may need winter protection depending on where you live.  Although the flowers of this spring flowering plant are scented, Ipheion uniflorum is a member of the onion (alliaceae) family and if the stems or leaves are knocked, release an onion smell.  The flowers grow on stems about 20cm (8 in) high and the flowers are about 4 cm (1.5 in) across. 



Plant in a sheltered position 3in apart x 3in deep (7.5 x 7.5cm) in autumn in well-drained soil, (apparently any type as long as it drains well) in full sun or dappled light shade as it needs protection from strong wind and midday heat.  It can be propagated by division after several years once the leaves have died back (as is the general case with bulbs) but otherwise leave it undisturbed.    



Ipheion uniflorum does come in other shades of blue, and it white, it would seem. 



This is a link to further information from the Royal Horticultural Society on Ipheion uniflorum.



Light and Shade, and Hardiness Ratings