Search This Blog

Monday 14 April 2014

CYCLAMEN COUM - A HARDY PERENNIAL


When I was visiting the RHS garden at Harlow Carr in March I was delighted to see cyclamen coum growing quite happily at the base of a living hedge.  Although they are hardy, I am not sure just how hardy they are.  It's been a relatively mild winter in my area of England and the Harlow Carr gardens, in North Yorkshire are a lot more sheltered than my own garden in West Yorkshire, which is about 870ft or so above sea level. 


 


 




Cyclamen coum (subsp. caucasicum), growing at base of living fence

RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr, March 2014


 

Cyclamen coum is a winter/early spring flowering tuberous perennial which needs partial shade, is frost hardy down to -5C, and needs well-drained soil.  It achieves a height of 10 cm (4in) x spread 5-10cm (2-4in).



Light and Shade, Hardiness Ratings in Zones