Search This Blog

Sunday 30 March 2014

DAHLIAS POTTED FOR AN EARLY START

Although we've had quite a mild time of it here in West Yorkshire this winter, if you discount the ferocious winds, you cannot trust that the climate won't suddenly turn very cold and wintery.  At the end of March 2013, a blanket of snow covered my garden and everything in it.  Even so, you have to make hay while the sun shines and I've retrieved the dahlias and begonias that I potted in vermiculite and stored outside in the garden storage box last November in the hope that they would survive.  And they have.  The dahlia tubers are just as healthy and plump as they were when I stored them.  I'll keep them outside and bring them indoors, or protect them with bubble-wrap, if the weather turns nasty.









The above dahlias are 'Fascination'.  The tubers almost fill those big pots (above and below) and to think, when I first bought them, the tubers were tiny and would have fitted into the palm of one hand. 






Fascination Dahlias