Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 February 2014

CORDON RASPBERRIES

A few years ago I planted the raspberry called Polka which is an autumn fruiting type but which I also allow to crop during summer, sacrificing the quality and size of the autumn crop.  I've discovered that they grow quite tall, well above my 6ft fence and each year I've trimmed off the tops so I can actually reach the fruit.  This year, I have decided to try and grow them in cordon fashion, pulling them down as neatly and as horizontally as I can.   I realise it's rather different to growing cordon apple trees, etc, which have a main central stem off which the branches are tied horizontally but I like to experiment and I think I will be able to protect these better from the birds and also access the fruit quite easily.  We'll see. 








Polka raspberries canes









It'll be interesting to see what the results are.  The quality of these raspberries, compared with the supermarket raspberries, is far superior; by that I mean taste.  It's funny but no once in all the years I've grown them have I had problems with insects, disease, or mould.  Not once have I found a grub in the raspberry fruit (unless I've eaten them, of course, but I do check!).  Although it's only February, the new buds are starting to grow on the canes.



Polka Raspberry - pruning canes

YouTube clip on pruning raspberry canes

About Polka, the wonder raspberry

Bircher Muesli with Raspberries - or other fruit