Search This Blog

Friday 24 January 2014

COMPLETE BIRD FEEDER - FOOD FOR ALL - FREE FOR ALL

It's winter now in the UK and cold out there.  Yesterday we had more than a touch of frost, we had some snow which, happily, hasn't lasted.  In anticipation of worse to come, I have bought a complete bird feeder which is a metal pole from which bird food and water can be hung.  The pole is steadied by a heavy metal base but, just to be sure, I've also stood some heavy pots containing spring flowering bulbs on the base.  I've not seen any squirrels climb up it yet, but I expect that they do.  Interestingly, there has been little interest in the fat balls (which I made from lard, various seeds, and sultanas) and the shop bought fat 'cake' which is made of fat and insects.  The birds (mostly finches, tits and robins, as well as the delightful collared doves) still make their daily appearance.  I confess, I worry about them in the winter.