Search This Blog

Friday 15 November 2013

WINTER PROTECTION FOR LESS HARDY PLANTS IN POTS

It's been bothering me now for a few weeks, knowing that I had many chores to do in the garden before winter sets in and one thing and another stopping me doing them.  Today, although it has been a little cool, it was pleasant and dry in the garden and I got so much done.  My biggest worry was protecting the Prunus Avium Stella, Gisela 5 sweet cherry tree that I bought this year.  It is still in its pot and I don't know just how hardy it is going to be in a pot when we can get such harsh winters here.  I didn't want to take chances, so I have moved the tree into the shelter of fencing and a mini-greenhouse, pushed other tubs close to the pot, and wrapped the tree's terracotta pot around twice with bubble-wrap.  I've put stone wedges under the pot so that it can drain in wet weather - Prunus Avium Stella does not like getting waterlogged.  I've also tied the trunk to a hook on the fence so the tree cannot blow over.  I don't think there is anything else that I can do and possibly I have rather overdone it.  Despite there not being a single leaf left on the tree, I know it is alive and healthy - it is full of little buds for next spring.  Worth mentioning, the mini-greenhouse is full of my herbs (lemon balm, lemon verbena, parsley, chives, rosemary and thyme).  On the greenhouse I have put a clear undercover, on top of that a fleece cover, and last but not least a stronger green cover.  That should keep them warm!







I have several pots in the garden which do not need protection.  The loganberry (which you can just see on the left in the above picture) seems to survive very well in a pot although I do plan to find a space for it in the border next year.  I have hyacinths, tulips, crocuses and snowdrops in tubs ready to flower next spring.  The alpines (sempervivums) should be fine in their pot - the pot is raised off the ground for drainage.  The variegated hosta 'Brimcup' which I planted in a terracotta pot this year has already died back and I think it will be just fine and appear again next spring.  I hope it will.  One concern has been the two jasmine officinales 'Clotted Cream'.  I know they are not fully hardy and so I have moved them from the exposed porch at the front of the house and placed them in the back garden against the wall and wrapped the terracotta pots around with garden fleece.  I've a feeling though that the stems could have needed protection, but we'll see.  The clematis 'Arctic Queen', which I now grow in a container, can also suffer with harsh weather and I have protected the pot with bubble-wrap.  The pot (front right, below) is alpina clematis 'Constance' which I think should be tough enough to withstand Pennine Mountain weather. 







My roses are still producing flowers although they are looking a bit ragged.  I've discarded quite a few roses this year as I feel I can no longer be battling pests and diseases like aphids and blackspot.  The fabulous climbing rose Compassion has been spared.  It deserves a chance as it provides such lovely, fragrant blooms.  In fact, it is still flowering above my garden gate, fully exposed to the weather which blows across the hilltops. 







The climbing rose Compassion is a strong grower and mine has thrown out some very sturdy stems.  I felt it necessary to do some pruning and training of it this autumn as I have to bear in mind that the climber grows right next to and over a gateway and the thorns could cause injury to anyone passing through.