Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 July 2013

ARTHUR BELL YELLOW FLORIBUNDA ROSE

I've mentioned the Arthur Bell yellow floribunda rose more than once in my posts, I know, but I cannot stress how wonderful a rose it is.  Floribunda means it has abundant flowers.  If you have room for one, I recommend you try it.  I cannot recall it ever having greenfly or blackspot or any other rose pest or disease and it has a beautiful fragrance.  The only problem my Arthur Bell roses have is that I grow them in an area which is open to the elements.  The wind where I live in West Yorkshire has been so awful these last few days and is hammering them.  A couple of days ago the wind ripped a large stem off one of them taking with it several small buds and a few larger ones.  I saved what I could, discarding the tiny buds that were too undeveloped to ever open, and put the pruned stems with the fatter rose buds into a vase.  They have opened up so beautifully.  Look how glossy and healthy the leaves are too.  I think next year, after spring pruning, I might push in some supports to help the bushes against the wind in future but I am also thinking of finding a way to build up the soil level around them. 






Arthur Bell, yellow floribunda rose

I love the way it has this vibrant red around the buds which disappears once the roses are in full bloom.








A mistake I made when I planted the Arthur Bell roses is that I didn't plant them deep enough.  To be honest, there isn't a great depth of soil under them, only 12 inches or so.  Beneath that is a drainage pipe covered with concrete.  For years I always understood that roses that are grafted onto a root stock should be planted with the graft above soil level to try and avoid the root stock throwing out it's own shoots.  Lately I read that it is better to have the graft below soil level.  Sigh.  Live and learn!  



This is a link to Gardener's World.com, with a video on planting a rose (external link).





Arthur Bell is a Floribunda rose that has received the Royal Horticultural Society 'Award of Garden Merit' (external link to Royal Horticultural Society webpage).