Search This Blog

Saturday 15 June 2013

SEMPERVIVUM 'BLOOD TIP' - Crassulaceae family

As I mentioned in my previous posts about Sempervivum 'Lilac Time' and a plant which I think is a kind of Sempervivum calcareum, I decided last week that I want to grow alpines in a terracotta pot.  Individual sempervivums can be difficult to identify; you can recognise the group quite easily but the varieties within that group can be more difficult.  'Blood Tip', for example, is not totally dissimilar to  the Sempervivum calcareum that I bought first, unlabelled but there are some which are so close in resemblance that I don't know how experts can identify them.   I am only a novice and finding it quite bewildering, although interesting, at the moment.  Note in the bottom photo that there are several baby plants developing at the base.  






Sempervivum 'Blood Tip'






Sempervivum 'Blood Tip'

I understand that it can be a while until sempervivums get around to flowering but that doesn't matter, I like them for their leaf form and all good things are worth waiting for.



Sempervivum 'Blood Tip' is described as having large green rosettes with vivid red tips (I wouldn't say vivid as mine has a rather dark red) with deep red flowers in summer.  Maybe not this summer.