Search This Blog

Friday 28 June 2013

RAINY DAY AND HAPPY PLANTS

There is no doubt about it that rainwater invigorates plants.  You can give them tap water but it will never have the same result, in my opinion, as nitrogen carrying rain.  For the last couple of days it has rained and although I am not particularly thrilled about it, and my Ragdoll cat, Alfie, even less so, the garden is just lapping it up.  The hanging baskets are sparkling and have plumped up in the rain.  By that, I mean it is always as though the plants are sitting up and paying attention, flowers raising their faces for a wash. 






Four hanging baskets in a row.  Beyond, you can see I am

trying to train a climbing rose (Compassion) over a gateway.



A couple of weeks ago I found a big bag of lawn seed in the back of a kitchen cupboard while I was rummaging to try and find a tin of paint, and I just sprinkled the seed all over the lawn at the first drop of rainfall.  Now the lawn grass is denser and little bare patches seem to be filling out. 



As you can see below, I only have a small garden, with lots of things going on.






Sunnier part of the garden






Shadier side of the garden with Lonicera periclymenum Scentsation,

Climbing Roses: Wild Eve, Aloha, Golden Showers, and New Dawn; and

astilbe, geraniums, primulas, and aquilegia