Search This Blog

Thursday 27 June 2013

PRIMA BALLERINA IN FULL BLOOM

Although we are having a nice day today on the Pennine Mountains of West Yorkshire, and it is dry, the forceful wind is sucking the water out of my hanging baskets and other containers.  I've just watered my four hanging baskets on the east facing wall and now that the plants are fully established and more demanding with regard to feeding and watering, I have to keep a close watch on them.   I always think that when you allow a plant to get to the point of collapse through lack of water, you've done irreparable damage to its future progress.  Of course, I made a 'school girl' error when planted up my new coconut fibre baskets back at the beginning of May.  Quite stupidly, it did not occur to me to put inside some sort of waterproof lining that would retain water until the moment I have finished doing the job.  Now they dry out so easily and also, when I water them, the water can just pour out through the bottom which is a bad thing because when water drains straight through containers like that, it takes a lot of the compost's nutrients with it.  Still, we live and learn by our mistakes - hopefully.








Prima Ballerina 27 June 2013

While watering today I noticed that my rose Prima Ballerina, above, has three fabulous flowers in full bloom.  It's incredible to me that a rose can produce such a glorious, vibrant cerise that is edged silver and still, still, have a fabulous perfume.  Isn't nature just marvellous? 



While I am harping on about my roses, yet again, I have to mention that the Iceberg climber, which has been dreadfully attacked by greenfly and blackspot, is doing very well and producing lovely blooms.   All my roses are full of buds this year but many have a way to go before they open.  The garden's had such a late start this year due to a prolonged and rather harsh winter and, even now, the weather is often cold with such strong breezes.  Thankfully, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have my roses well and truly tied in to prevent the damage that occurred last June.  That was a lesson learned.






Climbing Iceberg, 27 June 2013



My climbing Iceberg is grown across the fence in my garden that facing approximately south.  It's planted in a tiny patch of soil at the base of the fence with Polka raspberries on its right and concrete paving on its left.  In front of it there is a narrow border where I have been growing winter-flowering violas (which, after flowering since last October are now getting a bit leggy and will have to be removed before too long, I think).  I purposely chose Iceberg for that particular spot because, to its left is a quite large patio area with no soil in which to plant anything.  The Iceberg rose is being trained across this area and, with any luck, should meet up with Zephirine Drouhin if that beautiful old climbing rose manages to survive.  As I've said previously, Zephirine Drouhin can succumb to all sorts of problems, particularly mildew, but I had to have it.  I did read though that when a rose such as Zephirine Drouhin lacks water, it can get mildew.  Now, I always though that mildew would occur through damp so I'm confused but, anyway, I have kept it very well watered and avoided getting water on its leaves while doing so and so far, so good.  I admit though, all my roses have been sprayed for pests and diseases