Search This Blog

Friday 20 September 2019

POLYSTICHUM POLYBLEPHARUM IN CONTAINER

It's been quite a while since I last posted. I've been keeping up with the garden but the garden room keeps beckoning and I keep getting lazy and sitting in there, reading. Even when it's windy, it can be toasty warm in there if there is some sunshine to warm it up.  While my back was turned, critters have destroyed the hostas—not killed them, but savaged the leaves so badly that I decided just to get rid of the plants entirely.  Tragic really because they were so beautiful when intact, but they have been plagued with vine weevils and snails, and the leaves have ended up shredded or full of holes. In their place, I am growing ferns which seem to escape such devastation. I have a small path in my garden, near the house, and already one side of the path is bordered with ferns. One new fern for my collection (I have about eleven) of ferns is Polystichum polyblepharum.  It's very shiny! It caught my attention straight off at the garden centre. A had to have.




Polystichum polyblepharum


 The label shows that Polystichum polyblepharum enjoys partial shade, achieves a height of 70cm (2ft4in) is hardy down to -15, and is evergreen. More than 10,000 varieties of fern are found all over the word. Ferns reproduce by spors. They filter polluted air and produce pure oxygen.  This plant should no be placed in full sun but should receive much light indirectly. Water sufficiently to keep the soil moist.



What more could I want.  It will go against the house wall, facing kind of east, so it will get full morning sun and then shade. 






Polystichum polyblepharum