Search This Blog

Monday 12 August 2019

POLLINATORS LOVE ECHINACEA INCLUDING SUNSEEKERS PINK

Bought three echinacea plants today.  'Delicious Candy' was mentioned in my previous post and I also bought 'White Meditation' and 'Sunseekers Pink'.  While I think they are pretty, I didn't buy them for their looks but for their lateish flowering and, most importantly, because pollinators are just crazy about them.  I mean, I was going around the garden centre with bees hanging onto my plants.  Sweet or what!  Hoverflies don't sting (they're good guys) and I have never, in decades of gardening, been stung by a bee.  I treat them with respect (I don't try to grab hold of one!) but I don't mind them flying around me. 




Echinacea 'Sunseekers Pink'

The label says that Echinacea 'Sunseekers Pink' has an abundance of flowers with pink petals radiating round a central button-like disc, held on sturdy stems throughout summer.  It achieves a height of 55cm (22in) and spread of 45cm (18in).  It is suitable for borders and patio containers, in sun, in a deep, humous-rich, well-drained soil.  



Don't forget to dead-head to make new flowers keep on coming.