Search This Blog

Saturday 27 July 2019

POTENTILLA 'MONARCH'S VELVET' - A SUMPTUOUS RED

Do you ever grow a herbaceous plant and when it comes back, after winter, can't remember what it is?  I do.  This year a beautiful plant started to make the loveliest of leaves, such a bright green, and I could not remember what it was and then thought it might be a potentilla, but then I couldn't remember which one.  I know now, because I have never seen such a vibrant red except for a rose.  I recommend this plant, Potentilla Monarch's Velvet.  It's lovely in the border.




Potentilla Monarch's Velvet






Potentilla Monarch's Velvet leaves

 The label says that Potentilla Monarch's Velvet has a long succession of rich raspberry red flowers with darker centres above clumps of mid-green serrated foliage.  It is suitable for borders, in sun, on moist but well-drained soil.  It flowers mid summer to early autumn and achieves a height of 60cm (24in) x 45cm (18in). 




Potentilla Monarch's Velvet






Potentilla Monarch's Velvet