Search This Blog

Thursday 30 October 2014

OSTEOSPERMUM LONG FLOWERING PERIOD INTO NOVEMBER

I bought two Osteospermums a few months ago, at the beginning of July.  Just two, in individual pots.  At the time I bought them I thought they were a little bit expensive, probably because the big garden centre where I often go is generally so cheap and has such great plants for sale.  How could I possibly have considered two plants expensive that have flowered from the day I bought them, right through the summer, and are still full of flowers and buds.  What a bargain.  Osteospermum 'Sunny Mary' and 'Pink Honey'. 






Osteospermum 'Sunny Mary' flowering into November




Osteospermum 'Sunny Mary' with insect - Macro photograph








Osteospermum Flower Power 'Pink Honey' flowering into November

Although I kept them in their pots originally, I soon realised they were not happy and so planted them into my garden borders where they thrived and bloomed.



Osteospermum, also known as African daisies, are perennials but they are not hardy and need overwinter protection.  It is said that they will not survive below a USA 9 or UK H3 rating: 



See: Hardiness ratings



The label says that Osteospermum have stunning daisy flowers, flowering through summer and autumn above neat green foliage.  They make a great centre plant for larger patio tubs but also look good in borders or rockiers.  They achieve a height and spread of 40cm (16in).  They require a warm and sunny position in light, well-drained soil or compost.