Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 October 2014

AUTUMN COLOURS OF ACER PALMATUM DISSECTUM 'ORNATUM'

Many years ago when I had a much larger garden in a more sheltered and less windy area, I used to have better luck with Japanese Maples.  In fact, I cannot recall losing a single one.  I grew them in pots in a hollow at the bottom of the garden where they were sheltered by surrounding shrubs and trees, as well as a dense privet hedge.  Where I am now, despite 5ft fences which are topped by trellis, it's quite a task to get Japanese Maples to survive the wind, not to mention the harshness of some of the winters we get here.  Earlier this year I bought three.  Acer Palmatum Orange Dream lost its leaves some weeks ago.  It's not happy.  Why, I do not know as it is in the same situation, side by side in a terracotta pot right facing east, against the house wall, right next to the Acer palmatum dissectum 'Ornatum' which is also in a pot.  The Ornatum has far more delicate looking leaves and yet it has happily grown and now produced delightfully red leaves.  I am hoping that the Orange Dream will still be alive next spring and produce another set of its lovely fresh green leaves.  I need to find another position for it.






Acer palmatum dissectum 'Ornatum' - autumn colours

Another Japanese Maple that I bought, as a tiny specimen quite cheaply, is Acer palmatum Beni Maiko.  I was going to grow it as a bonsai, but now I'm not sure.  While still tiny, it is surviving quite well.  During summer it made some growth which I have trimmed back to encourage a better shape and more branches.